Easy Dress Repair

I have set a challenge for myself. I am going the repair four dresses before the end of May. Three dresses are vintage and one is modern.
Why May you ask? Because then I will go to the West fjords, where the owner of two of the vintage ones loves and I want to bring them to her all finished and pretty.

The other two belong to my older daughter. I tackled the first one today. It’s the modern one and it was badly torn at the sleeves:

This happens when quite loosely woven wool fabric meets way to rigid, overly reinforced (in relation to the flimsy fabric) and a tiny bit to tight band at the end of the sleeve. The pull from the band tears the fabric from the seam and the result is these big holes.

Easy Dress Repair

The first thing I did was to carefully unpick the sleeve seam. The edges were very torn and frayed so I cut away the destroyed bits and made them nice and neat.

Then plan was to make slits in the sleeves, instead of seams, to relive the tension from the sleeve bands.

So I hemmed the would be slits as narrowly as possible and used a black ribbon for reinforcement. (A bias tape would have been way better, but I did’t have any in black and not any suitable black fabric to make some either. There is no fabric store in the village, so I use what I have.)

Then I redid the shoulder seams, carefully repairing the holes. I reinforced the shoulder seams (on the inside) with ribbon too.

The result is perhaps not perfect, but it’s pretty neat and it works.

 Ég hef sett mér það markmið að gera við fjóra kjóla fyrir hvítasunnu. Þrír þeirra eru gamlir, tveir meira að segja mjög gamlir en einn er nýr. Af hverju hvítasunnu? Jú, þá fer ég vestur og þar býr eigandi elstu kjólanna. Mig langar að færa henni þá, alveg tilbúna og fína.

Hinir tveir tilheyra ungu dömunni. Ég lagaði annan þeirra í dag, það var sá nýrri. Hann var ansi rifinn á báðum ermum:

Svona gerist þegar allt of stíf og svolítið of þröng ermalíning er saumuð á gisið ullarefni. Líningin togar í efnið sem gliðnar frá saumnum. Götin eru sem sagt ekki saumsprettur, það er efnið sjálft sem er rifið.

Viðgerðin

Fyrst á dagskrá var að spretta varlega upp ermasaumunum. Jaðrarnir voru mjög trosnaðir og rifnir svo næst var að klippa þá og snyrta.

Björgunaráætlunin var að hafa ermasaumana opna, til að slaka á spennunni frá ermalíningunni.

Svo ég braut kantana inn, eins lítið og hægt var og notaði svartan borða til styrkingar. Skáband hefði verið mun betra, en ég átti ekki svoleiðis í svörtu og heldur ekki svart efni sem hentaði. Þannig fínerí fæst ekki í þorpinu og þá notar maður það sem hendi er næst.

Svo gerði ég við götin í axlarsaumunum og notaði borða til styrkingar.

Árangurinn er kannski ekki fullkominn, en hann virkar.

 

Print Friendly

One Response

Leave a Reply